Monday, May 26, 2014

Celebrate Life . . .

Today I have a canvas to share that I made with an incredible amount of love, along with shedding many tears for my beautiful mother who is in the end stage of alzheimers.    All that she was is gone.  I will always remember her for the simple pleasures that she loved.  The smell of a flower from her garden, a gentle breeze blowing, the sun shining,  and the birds that once gathered at her bird feeder.  I wanted to capture the simple things in life that she loved . . . flowers from her garden, a key to unlock the front door of what a one time was her home,  butterflies that could always be found in her garden and most of all the simple gesture of a smile.  She had the most beautiful smile and was always so happy.  Her laugh was contagious and her smile would always brighten up anyone.   I know for myself I take life for granted when it comes to the simple pleasures of life.  It has only been through my Mom that I have come to realize that I need to be thankful for the little things in life.  Celebrate each day and enjoy life and live in the moment.  Simply put . . . Celebrate Life!


I was inspired by a couple of challenges when I created this canvas.  The May Epic Anniversary Challenge at Scrap Around the World, with a beautiful moodboard created by Helen Tilbury.  I drew my  inspiration from the the word celebrate,  the colors, the bow and  the doilies on the presents.  The background of my canvas was created using the Tim Holtz doily stencil and I included a couple of crochet doilies.   Many layers and lots of mists, paints, inks and embossing.  I love the gold on the bottom of the balloons and used some Stampendous Shabby Pink Embossing enamel with the little flecks of gold.

I was also inspired by the May challenge at Berry71bleu, Simply Pleasures and their moodboard.
I was inspired by the beautiful flowers and butterflies.

A few closeups:



I hope that everyone enjoyed the long weekend!  The weather here was beautiful!

Thanks for stopping by!
 . . . Debbie

18 comments:

Sandi Clarkson said...

AW, this is so pretty, Debbie! Love your color selections and the meaning of your embellishments! As always, sending my hugs!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! The colors are wonderful!!!Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Around The World!

yyam said...

Oh my! This is gorgeous! I love the colours and textures!

Sorry to hear about your mom. Glad you still remember her at her best.

Lizzy Hill said...

Just beautiful! And it is sooo true - enjoying this moment, now....it's a hard journey you're on with your Mum, but I hope the canvas was helpful...it is totally delish! You do such GORGEOUS work:):)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So sorry my friend ... this is truly gorgeous! I am IN LOVE with the colors and the flowers ... a beautiful way to remember your mom from before .....

Hera said...

Gorgeous project Debbie! Everything is perfect here! Really inspiring... kisses from SATW!

Kay F said...

What a wonderful tribute to mom. I love how each element on your canvas represents something about your mom. This is a very heartfelt, loving canvas & it shows. Wonderful work & excellent take on the challenge. Thanks for joining us at Berry71Bleu!

Rosy-Cheek said...

What a beautiful, meaningful project. I'm so glad that we have art and creativity to express our emotions and memories. This is so beautiful, made all the more precious by your description of what your sweet mother means to you. Sorry she is not at her best now. What a sad stage this is for you and your family. We went through similar with my grandma, and I pray my own mother doesn't take after her in this (though she is already showing signs of heading that way). Thanks for sharing your heart in this way. Blessings to you and your dear mum. xxxx

Unknown said...

Such beautiful background textures and details! A wonderful piece of art full of precious memories! Thank you for sharing this with Berry71Bleu!!

langeatheart said...

Debbie this is gorgeous. Your story breaks my heart. I lost my mom in 2011 to caner and being her caregiver changed me forever. This is a wonderful tribute to your mom I'm sure she would love it! The colors are just gorgeous! Definitely one of my favs! Thanks for playing along with us at SATW! :)

Unknown said...

wonderful details and texture it is true that happy is contagious!

Marilyn said...

So Beautiful Debbie!!! Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Around The World!! x a big hug!

Cathi ONeill said...

Absolutely stunning canvas Debbie! Such great memories associated with it too. Hug hugs to you. Thanks so much for joining us at Berry71bleu!!

Denise van Deventer said...

Such a fabulous and beautiful canvas Debbie! Anyone can see that it is created with much love and care! Everything is so perfect....
It's surely a testament of love...
Thanks so much for playing along with us at Berry71Bleu! ;-)

Tusia Lech said...

Your canvas is amazing!!! So many wonderful elements!! Thank you so much for joining us at Berry71Bleu and SATW this month!

Dana Tatar said...

Fantastic canvas Debbie! I LOVE the textured background and the pretty pastel color palette. Thanks for joining the Berry71Bleu Challenge! :)

Amanda Corbet said...

This project is absolutely stunning! I love all the texture and color that you put into this piece. It is truly beautiful. I’m so sorry about your mom, my prayers are with you and your family.

Athanasia said...

Wow Debbie, your work is amazing! I absolutely love your style!
I'm so happy to be with you at Frosted Designs DT!!!