Monday, February 14, 2011

Family - Sketchy Thursdays 2.10 Sketch Challenge

What more can you ask for?   A fabulous sketch at Sketchy Thursdays and some beautiful Be Mine papers from Echo Park!!! Combine the two with some precious family pictures and your get this:
and here is Sketchy Thursdays 2.10 sketch:
Working on this layout was quite an emotional roller coaster for me.  The pictures were taken over 40 years ago on what ended up being the last week of my grandfather's life.   He had been diagnosed with colon cancer.  His family gathered together to embrace the precious time left with him.  One son flew in from Canada and the other from New York.  My mom only lived a few hours drive from their home in Berkely Springs, W VA.  I so dearly loved my grandfather, as he was so special.  While I worked on this layout memories of my childhood spent at their house in the mountains of West Virginia came to mind.  Happy and joyful memories, but I found myself  looking at him in the pictures and remembering how weak he was and how much pain he was in, and I could not hold back the tears.  Oh how I miss him.
Here are a few closeups:
The R on the sign symbolizes his last name, Rathbone.  I tore the pink paper and placed a bird cage underneath it and added some small pink pearls.
A Pink Paislee Artisian frame which I painted pink.
And a beautiful sentiment cut from the Echo Park Be Mine Collection.

Tomorrow is my DT Reveal for These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things!!!
Can't wait to show you my reveal, but for now I will leave you with a little sneak peek:
And  . . .
Frosted Designs is having a Design Team call.  Check out all of the details here!

10 comments:

Mel said...

Wowsers, what a stunning layout, even if it was a rollercoaster ride of emotions, I love the torn reveal of the birdcage and the stunning artisian inked is just gorgeous. Melxx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! This is one AMAZING LO Debbie! I love love love love love the photos, the color combo....that torn paper around the birdcage and loveeeeeeeee that frame!! Thanks soooooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Lea said...

This is just beautiful and those photos are priceless! Beautiful paper line and love that frame!!!

Barb Craft said...

Is there anything else I can say other than WOW?! This LO is stunning! The pink and grey combo rocks and the way you colored the frame pink looks amazing!! This one is a winner!
Barb :)

Dawnll said...

This is such a wonderful "tribute" to that special relationship.
People don't understand how therapeutic scrapbooking can be.
Love this beautiful layout and touching story and pictures.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful layout!And such a precious one with all the memories! Beautiful colors and paper and those photo's are wonderful!
Thanks so much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays!

BabyBokChoy said...

Here to wish you a Happy Valentine and while I'm here, I' enjoying the view and the delicious pink! love it!!!!!

Luz Maria Bruna said...

This is really so so beautiful and elegant my friend!!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog,I´m still on vacations till Feb 22th.Today I had acces to internet.

Robin said...

Your work is all fab!!! Check out the dt call at My Partner in Crafting Crime! Robin

Keshet said...

This is beautiful, love the color scheme! Thanks for joining the fun at Sketchy Thursdays this week!!